Thanksgiving and The Easiest Classic Pumpkin Pie Recipe Gluten-free!


 Hello sweet pea's!
It is thanksgiving official here in Canada this Monday the 8th of October!
       
   
From what I have come to understand, Thanksgiving in the U.S.A is waaaaaaaay more serious and intense than here. For us, it's just a nice legal holiday with good food and fam, that we are grateful for; especially as it gives us a 4 day work week in the middle of loverly fall!




 What you need to know about Canadians and how seriously we take ourselves, is pretty much in those pics that I came across on Pinterest. P.S. lemme know your Canadian name. Mine turns out to be Always apologising Canadian bacon! Hahaha, not far off from the truth, if it's turkey bacon.
   


Speaking of yummy noms, you need to know, and try your hand at this delectable recipe for pumpkin pie that has been in my family for since, like, always!
   
        
I posted it a while ago but feel it's a good recipe that deserves a re-post. Those are some pics of some mini pumpkin pies that I made for markets, and special occasions.
My son is a pumpkin pie fiend, so is my brother for that matter. I usually make 4 pumpkin pies. One for each of them, one for our shared dinner, and an extra for those who want to take a slice home.
Yes, it is that good and duper simple.
I make regular 8-9" pies, but you can make them any size you want. Get fancy with the cutters too, it adds some beauty in an easy, simple, lovely way. If you don't need to be gluten-free, by all means use a store bought crust and make the filling. The filling was always gluten-free, just be sure to use pumpkin in a can, NOT canned pumpkin pie filling!
For the crust, I had to get a recipe from another blogger, as my recipes are in boxes, hiding from me in storage, as we had to move in 5 days to get out of our mold infested rental. However, this is a good recipe and behaves really well. I am reposting this from my old blog post here:

I need a gf pie crust and the great Brianna on her, Flippin' Delicious blog, had the answer! I am posting the link down below, I was so happy because it gave the texture I wanted and it saved me much trial and annoying error. I like to make a double batch because as I said, 2-3 pie minimum in my house. I also used a few tablespoons of shortening to replace a bit of the butter, it bakes well this way. The pumpkin pie filling makes enough for 2 pies and they freeze wonderfully. I highly recommend making the crust dough in advance, (double her recipe) chilling it for about 30 minutes before rolling it out between parchment paper, and then placing it in the pie shell, docking it with a fork and baking it for 5 minutes in a 350degree F oven before filling. The reason I bake it for 5 minutes is because I don't want total crust mush. 

Here is the link to the ever cute Flippin' Delicious blog, the recipe for her pie crust, it is perfect for pumpkin pie I tell yah!
http://flippindelicious.com/2014/11/best-all-butter-gluten-free-pie-crust-pastry.html
     
CLASSIC GF PUMPKIN PIE:
Makes 2 pies
Oven @ 350 degrees F
You will need a double recipe of the pie crust that is in the link provided above.

Ingredients: 
1 Whole Egg
1 Can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
1/2 Can of water
1x 500g Pure Pumpkin puree, not pie filling, puree only!
1 1/2 Tbsp Pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
2 Prepared pie crusts, no tops.

Method:

-Bake pie shells for 5 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool.
-In a bowl add pumpkin and spices, salt, egg, and can of condensed milk, whisk together.
-Using the empty can of condensed milk, fill halfway with regular cool water.
-Whisk all ingredients together
-Divide and pour evenly into the prepared pie shells, place pies on large baking tray*.
-Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, the filling must be set and not jiggle when taken out of oven.
-Allow to cool and then chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or if you prefer, here is my recipe for whipped coconut cream.
http://thekinkycoconut.blogspot.ca/2015/07/vegan-coconut-whipped-cream.html

Here's the link to the original recipe, if you want to read that post:
http://bienconfitglutenfree.blogspot.com/2016/10/classic-gluten-free-pumpkin-pie.html?m=1

While we celebrate, I do want to take a moment to remember and drop some knowledge, about the truth behind much of what we celebrate. Not trying to leave you with guilt, just feel that it's important to have an awareness. So much is omitted from our history books, it serves those few in positions of power, however, it is our responsibility to keep the truth flowing.
   

Aboriginal people's have always had a rich oral history, it should still be honored and respected today by all of us; as should they.
   

And before anyone thinks I am not aware of all the atrocities committed by Canada on native people's:
   


This post is to create a dialogue and pass on knowledge, it is not for negativity, denials, or anger.
My great-grandmother was native, and the horrid treatment received at the hands of government and people in control is evidenced when one looks at her birth certificate, which I saw. On the line where it states nationality, in French, it was written sauvage. I think it's pretty obvious but for those who need a translation, it states: savage.
Something so untrue, denigrating, and truly more how white people behaved towards our native ancestors.
   



 
Keep learning and growing, it is good for l'esprit!
I hope your day is filled with joy, blessings, and much love. Remember to be grateful for all that God, aka The Great Creator, has bestowed; and share with others.
That was always His intention, any question? Take it up with Jesus' examples.

Take care, be well, love freely...
Chef Kiki
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment