The Best Leek and Potato Potage (Soup-vegan too!)

Bonjour!
Yes, it really is the best leek and potato potage because I played with this recipe until I got something with a wonderful punch of extra flavour to kick up it's comforting familiarity.
I have made a vegan option of this soul soothing wonder as well. I am including the regular choices to make this for the purists out there. (You can be so dull sometimes, live a little try something new, it will keep your soul young.)
We scarfed this bad boy down and made sure to stop by Louise Sans Gluten before hand to have a slammin' crusty bread to go with. I needed that crusty bread slathered with butter, honest. It was so good, I regret nothing. Pass another butter slathered slice, please.
I know there are not many pics to go with this, that's because most of them were deleted for some weird reason and, for realsies, this thick potage is not hard at all.
Julia Childs has this in her Mastering the Art of French Cooking, from what I hear.
I have not looked for it as this is one of the first soups you are taught in the soup module at culinary school.
I am serious when I say that it is easy.
Mine has a different flavour profile,(Sounds so ridiculously snobby when you say it that way but it's true.) because I add scallion aka green spring onions, aka green shallots. This brings this known, soup stand-by to whole other level. Don't be intimidated I know you can do it, I believe in your kitchen courageousness!

THE BEST LEEK AND POTATO POTAGE
Ingredients:

5-6 Medium large yellow fleshed potatoes, cut in medium dice.
1 Whole leek, cut and rinsed well to remove any grit. This recipe uses the green and white part of the leek, once cleaned.
1 Bunch of scallion, bruised with the heel of your knife by banging it lightly, then chopped. Only the greens. (Omit if you want the old school method, but you'll be sorry ;P)
1 Clove garlic
2 Herb stock cubes and 4-5 Cups of water or 4-5 Cups fresh chicken stock if you prefer the old school method. (I use 4 Cups of liquid because I am crazy for a super thick, stick to my rib cage potage.)
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp Vegan margarine or butter if you want old school.
1 tsp White pepper
1 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Fresh thyme
1 Bay leaf
1/2-1 Cup Coconut milk or 35 % whole cream if you want the genuine French recette.

Method:

-In a medium size pot, heat oil and butter on medium high heat.
-Add onions and cook until translucent, add scallion and cook 1 minute.
-Add leeks and stir, then add garlic clove, cook 1 minute.
-Add potatoes, stir and cook 2 minutes. 
-Add stock then herbs and seasonings.
-Bring to a boil and then reduce to a medium low heat. Stir every now and then, place a lid halfway over pot, allow some steam out. Cook for 30-45 minutes, until potatoes easily mush when squished with a fork.
-Remove from heat and allow to cool.
-Pass the soup through a blender until all is well incorporated but should not be gummy. Then place back into pot. 
-Add cream of choice and reheat gently on medium low heat.
-Serve with crusty bread, French musing in the air, and Julie and Julia playing on the TV.
Serves 4-6 people easily and freezes well, up to 1 month. Will keep refrigerated for 1 week.
I hope you try this potato and leek, French friend of mine,and don't forget to share.
Oh, and as Julia would say, Bonne Appetit!


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment